Recently I struggled a lot to integrate solr search with Magento as it is one of the most popular search engine nowadays.
Most of the informations are covered here: How to Use the Solr Search Engine With Magento Enterprise Edition .
What is the process you have to follow to make solr work with Magento?
- Grab the solr version compatible with your Magento enterprise edition.
- Install solr in your system.
- Copy all the files from [magento-installation-root]/lib/Apache/Solr/Conf to [solr-installation-folder]/example/solr/conf
- Start start.jar file available in [solr-installation-folder]/example using command java -jar start.jar .
- Test solr connection in Magento admin panel. Successful??
- Save the configurations and server settings as it is. By default solr runs at port 8983.
- Now everything is ready. But most of the times you wont be able to see products in your catalog. Why?? Because Solr needs re-indexing of the documents.
How to re-index all the documents ?
- First go to shell(magento root) folder using command prompt [magento-installation-root]/shell
- Check the current status of indexing using php indexer.php –status . Here you may see all the index types with current status.
- Re-index all the data using php indexer.php –reindexall . You can also re-index individual data’s as php indexer.php –reindex catalog_product_attribute
On completion of the re-indexing you will see
Wooha. Solr re-indexing is successful. Now you should be able to see products in your categories and your solr search should be enabled.